Wedding Ceremony

THIS IS A COMMON WEDDING CEREMONY that can be adjusted to the liking of the bride and groom. 




(Ceremony Begins after Bridal Party Gathers at the front)
WORDS TO THE GUESTS  

Friends, we are gathered here to witness the marriage of ________ and _________, who stand before you in love, trust and hope.  They ask God to bless their coming together and to sustain them in the years to come, and they ask us to be present with them, to share and celebrate in their love. (Everyone is seated)


PRESENTATION OF THE BRIDE IN MARRIAGE
(Brides parent’s names) ___________and _________, (bride) ________ loves you both very much and is honored by your respect of her decision to marry __________.  In return will you now express your love for your daughter and grant your blessing of this marriage?  I give you an opportunity to express your favor and willfully grant the hand of your daughter in marriage to (groom)  __________ with this question? Who now gives this woman to be married to this man?  

ANSWER:  “Her mother and I”.  or “I do”.


OR SIMPLY:
Who presents this woman to be married to this man?   Answer:  __________

CHARGE TO THE COUPLE  
________ and _________, I charge you before these people, and in the sight of God of whom the secrets of your hearts are known, that having seriously considered the promises you are about to make, you do now sincerely declare your trust to one another.  Be well aware that if you honor the vows you are about to make, and if you are steadfast in them, God will grant you fulfillment in your marriage and establish your home in peace.  

PRAYER
Lord you are good.  Marriage is your idea.  We thank you for bringing _______ and ________ together, and for bringing them to this point of commitment. 
We call on You today because _________ and _________ are your children, created and molded for your purpose.  We ask that you would bless their marriage with peace, love and understanding.  We ask that you will protect and guide them in their decisions.  Lure them to depend on you and to live in your favor at all times.  Be present in their home and be glorified in their marriage.  Amen.


READING  
1 Corinthians 13:4-8 Love is kind and patient, never jealous, boastful, proud, or rude. Love isn’t selfish, or quick-tempered.  It doesn’t keep a record of wrongs that others do.  Love rejoices in the truth, but not in evil. Love is always supportive, loyal, hopeful, and trusting. Love never fails!

THE QUESTION (Pastor asks)
(Groom)  Do you ______________ take ______________ to be your own beloved wife, your dearest friend, and your most treasured companion.   “I DO”

(Bride)  Do you ______________ take ______________ to be your own beloved husband, your dearest friend, and your most treasured companion.   “I DO”

COMMITMENT VOWS (Repeat after Pastor)
I _______, take you ________, to be my wife.  To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness in health, to love and to cherish, as long as we both shall live.  I pledge to you my love.  

I _______, take you ________, to be my husband.  To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness in health, to love and to cherish, as long as we both shall live.  I pledge to you my love. 

EXCHANGING OF THE RINGS
Pastor’s Words:  “The unbroken circle of the wedding ring represents the promise of an unbroken commitment by both the bride and groom as they give this gift to each other. 
 
 GROOM TO BRIDE (Repeat after Pastor)
“In token of my love and devotion, I pledge to you, all that I am, and all that I ever will be.  With this ring, I gladly join my life to yours.”

BRIDE TO GROOM (Repeat after Pastor) “In token of my love and devotion, I pledge to you, all that I am, and all that I ever will be.  With this ring, I gladly join my life to yours.”
  
SPECIAL ACTIVITY: 
Some ideas include:      
Unity Candle                   
Breaking the Glass
Sand Ceremony               
Jumping the Broom
Flowers to Parents             
Blessing of Hands
Open Letter                      
Wine Box
Letter Box
Releasing Doves                
Releasing Butterflies

THE PRONOUNCEMENT
For as much as _________ and ___________ have consented together in holy matrimony, and have witnessed the same before God and this company, and have pledged their faith each to the other by sharing of vows and giving and receiving rings, I announce that they are now husband and wife.  

You may kiss your bride. 

I now present to you:
Mr. and Mrs. __________ and __________  ____________________